Podcast: Play in new window
Richard Bernabe, an internationally renowned wildlife, landscape, travel photographer, and author talks about why and how he left a comfortable corporate job, six-figure income, company car, and lucrative benefits to pursue his passion.
Lost passion for work, not using his skills, not feeling challenged, and dread waking up to go to work each morning were critical signs that it was time for Richard to quit his job and pursue his passion.
Loss of security and fear of the unknown were the primary strongholds that kept him at corporate for so long. A famous quote by Henry D. Thoreau was the secret weapon that set him free. “The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” Richard did not want to live a life of quiet desperation so he decided to take a chance at being happy over suffering quietly just to keep receiving that precious paycheck.
Statistics from a worldwide Gallup poll: 13% of workers really like their jobs. 63% are merely existing. The remaining 24% actually hate their jobs. Combining the last two percentages equates to a whopping 87% of workers worldwide who are emotionally disconnected from their workplaces and less likely to be productive.
Richard prefers not to give specific advice about how people should take that leap of faith. However, he challenges everyone to answer this very important question: “What are you going to sacrifice to make it happen?” Aside from risking your health, family, or self-respect; although you may not have to, you must be prepared to sacrifice everything else. If not, then don’t waste your time pursuing your passion as a primary source of income.
Listen to the podcast to hear what Richard has to say about:
- The cumulative effect of living a life of quiet desperation.
- Sacrifices you may have to make before taking that leap of faith.
- Where to focus your attention to uncover your passion(s) if you are unsure of what you’re passionate about.
- How, as adults, we have lost our ability to dream big dreams like children do and why we gave up on our dreams without much of a fight.
- How long it took for his venture to become profitable.
Take a moment to view Richard’s amazing work. Can you believe that he is self-taught?!
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation” Henry D. Thoreau
“Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking, and don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it” Steve Jobs
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go” T.S. Eliot
“It may hit you that you might be leaving yearly bonuses, stock options, and other corporate perks on the table when you leave. Get over it. The one who dies with the most toys doesn’t win. The one who lives life to the fullest wins” Unknown
“Too many people worry about getting it perfect and never end up executing. You don’t have to get it perfect. Just get it going” Unknown
“Working hard for something we don’t care about is called stress; working hard for something we love is call passion” Simon Sinek
More than 87% of people continue to wake up in the morning and go to bed at night thinking that their day job is the only key to securing their present and future. Luckily, Richard Bernabe has managed to prove that that way of thinking is based on a lie.
Subscribe to Podcast:
Please subscribe via email for auto updates of more inspirational stories to empower you to live your best life and provide encouragement during the tough times on how to triumph over tragedy. http://ow.ly/KlWji
Have an Inspirational Story?:
If you or someone you know have an inspirational story, send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for taking the time to visit!
Thank you Richard Bernabe for a fabulous interview!